Visas Criteria For Spouses/Dependents Of UK/EU Nationals:

  • The applicant MUST be resident in the UK (excludes Scotland), e.g. Requires Leave To Remain in the UK as a work permit holder, HSMP etc…
  • The UK residency permit must be endorsed in the actual passport or on the new biometric card (must be supplied). Home Office stamps/vignettes that are on separate documents will not be accepted by the embassy – If EU Spouse/Dependent, original marriage/birth certificate required + the primary resident’s passport;
  • The applicant’s UK Leave must exceed the validity of the requested visa by more than 3 months. The embassy no longer issues visas for travel during the last remaining 3 months validity of the UK residence permit;
  • The passport validity must exceed the validity of the requested visa by more than 3 months and must have a full blank page for the visa stamp and an additional spare page;
  • The Schengen application form* is to be completed and signed by the applicant;


Supporting Documents Requirements:

  1. The Schengen application form is to be completed and signed by the applicant/guardian in box 37 and the last declatation box;
  2. Two* passport photographs:Photographs are to be (45mm x 35mm), colour, less than one month old, taken against a white or pale grey background with good contrast clear/good quality image, printed on normal photographic paper, full face without sunglasses or head covering. (Scanned images will be rejected) Example
  3. Both the partner’s and the applicant’s current valid original passport;
  4. Original civil marriage certificate / birth certificate (for minors). – Non UK issued certificates, if not in English or French must be translated and in most cases, irrespective of the language, will require authentication from the UK embassy of the country in which they were issued. > legalisation / authentication / apostille
  5. ALTERNATIVELY – If you are unable to provide a certificate that meets the above criteria, as an alternative the embassy will allow you to apply for a standard Tourist Visa but you will have to supply the supporting documentation for a tourist visa and pay the Embassy’s tourist visa fee – Please refer to Tourist Visas

* UK Civil Partnership Certificate (same sex marriage) are now recognised and accepted as supporting documentation for an EU Spouse application.

* Spouses of French Nationals MUST supply “Livert de famille” to qualify for an EU spouse application, otherwise they need to apply under the conditions and supporting documentation requirements for Tourist Visas


Nationals from the following countries should take into consideration the longer visa application processing time when booking travel itineraries:

Afghanistan . Algeria . Bangladesh . Belarussian . Burma . Burundi . Colombia . Congo(Zaire) . Egypt . Indonesia . Iran . Iraq . Jordan . Kuwait . North Korea . Lebanon . Libya . Myanmar . Nigeria . Oman . Pakistan . Palestine . Philippines . Qatar . Rwanda . Somalia . Sudan . Surinam . Syria . United Arab Emirates . Vietnam . Yemen . Zimbabwe

The French embassy’s processing time for the above passport holders/nationals is 2 – 3 WEEKS

The French Consulate in London DOES NOT allow agencies to submit applications for the following:

  • Holders of C-VISIT visas (foreign national visiting the UK on a visitor visa)
  • Business visit visas
  • UK residents that have been issued with 6 month or less residency from date of UK entry (eg. FiancĂ© visa)
  • Residents of Scotland must apply at embassy in Edinburgh
  • Applicants whose passport shows that they have in the past initially travelled on a new French Schengen visa without treating France as their main destination.

Please ensure that your application and supporting documetation meets all of the above criteria. Applications that fail to meet ALL of the requirements will be returned via mail to the applicants residential address.